Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- PayPal teams up with Android Pay for mobile payments
– TechCrunch – “The integration in Android Pay will begin by allowing Android users to select their PayPal balance as a method of payment, but will expand to include the cards users have added to their PayPal account in the months ahead. The deal follows other moves on PayPal’s part to form partnerships with the major card networks, which also had similar goals of expanding PayPal’s footprint by joining forces with the incumbents, instead of doing battle with them.”
- Consumers Skeptical About Value of Sharing Data with Retailers
– eMarketer Retail – “In a recent survey by YouGov commissioned by customer acquisition and engagement platform 7, US consumers were asked about their experience with companies who had access to their personal data. The respondents were of roughly equal minds about retailers’ use of their personal data, with 42% saying that generally retailers had put it to good use, and 48% saying that they had not.”
- What in the World Is Causing the Retail Meltdown of 2017?
– The Atlantic – “The reality is that overall retail spending continues to grow steadily, if a little meagerly. But several trends—including the rise of e-commerce, the over-supply of malls, and the surprising effects of a restaurant renaissance—have conspired to change the face of American shopping.”
- Grocery C&C Sees Robust Growth in Past Year
– Progressive Grocer – “It’s no wonder that click-and-collect is so big. First, young families and affluent couples – grocers’ most important customers are “especially ready” to take advantage of online grocery shopping, according to a March 2016 report from the Grocery Manufacturers Association and The Boston Consulting Group. And when they do make purchases online, they’re likely to spend far more across all channels than they would have done shopping in the traditional manner, with uplift often ranging from 30 percent to 50 percent.”
- Lloyds to trial biometrics for online banking
– NFC World – “Customers of Lloyds Banking Group across the UK will soon be able to log into their online banking accounts using fingerprint or facial recognition through Microsoft’s Windows Hello biometric authentication technology. The banking group is to trial the solution with Lloyds Bank, Halifax and Bank of Scotland customers with Windows 10 devices in the second half of this year.”
ON THE WIRES
- ACH Volume Grows to More Than 25 Billion Payments and $43 Trillion in Value in 2016
– “Following four consecutive quarters of more than 5 billion electronic payments in each quarter – a first for the ACH Network – overall volume in 2016 amounted to 25.6 billion transactions, according to new statistics released today by NACHA — The Electronic Payments Association®. This represents an increase of 5.3 percent over 2015 volume, and is the third consecutive year in which volume grew by a billion transactions or more over the previous year. Additionally, $43.7 trillion was transferred over the ACH Network last year, an increase of 5.1 percent compared to 2015.”
- Wells Fargo Announces Support for PayPal Wallet for In-Store Transactions
– “Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC) announced today that Wells Fargo customers will soon be able to use PayPal (NASDAQ:PYPL) to conveniently and securely make purchases with their mobile devices at participating merchants whose payment terminals are set up to accept near-field communication (NFC) payments.”
- B2B eCommerce Marketplace EC21 Launches Transactional Capabilities by Integrating Payoneer’s Escrow Solution
– “EC21, one of the world’s largest B2B marketplaces connecting millions of suppliers and buyers worldwide, announced today new transactional capabilities powered by Payoneer’s escrow service. By integrating with Payoneer’s escrow API, EC21 is now able to expand beyond its traditional directory-style business model, which was limited to facilitating trade inquiry exchanges, to becoming a one-stop-shop for B2B eCommerce.”
- POS Portal and Vantiv Partner for Easy Delivery of Secure Payment Hardware
– “POS Portal is excited to announce the availability of Vantiv ready payment devices for VARs, ISVs and Merchants. “
- Apriva Adds Multifaceted Payment Solution for Canadian Vending Operators
– “The new solution incorporates Crane Payment Innovation’s (CPI) MEI® Cashflow™ EasiChoice card reader and Apriva’s newly certified payment gateway interface for Interac Flash to TNS Smart Network Inc., a leading payments processing provider in Canada and the U.S. This new solution set provides one easy-to-use, seamless payment acceptance platform for Canadian vending operators to enable an enhanced customer experience with increased convenience and security.”
- Allied Wallet Sees Increased Success in Germany with Acceptance of Alternative Payment Methods
– “81% of Germans are frequent online shoppers and the average German spends about 25.2 hours online per month. Surprisingly, credit cards only account for about 21% of the transactions in their e-commerce market. Allied Wallet is one of few payment service providers that can accept many alternative payment methods across the e-commerce landscape.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series
is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!