Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Mastercard rolls out Messenger payment bots with US retailers
– NFC World – “Subway, FreshDirect and The Cheesecake Factory have begun rolling out payment bots for Facebook Messenger across the US, allowing their customers to secure and complete payments using Mastercard’s Masterpass digital payment platform without having to leave the instant messaging service.”
- Microsoft replaces the password with a phone-based log-in
– endgadget – “Microsoft’s Authenticator app can now save you a step when logging into anything that requires a Microsoft Account. According to a blog post from the company’s identity division, Microsoft has just flipped the switch on a new phone sign-in feature that skips the password entry part entirely.”
- Alibaba’s Ant Financial merges with helloPay Group
– Finextra – “HelloPay Group, the online payments platform used on South East Asian e-commerce platform Lazada, is to merge with Alibaba’s Ant Financial and be rebranded into AliPay.”
- Two members of ATM skimming ring plead guilty to bank fraud
– Ars Technica – “Garcia admitted as part of the plea that “he installed ‘skimming’ devices on the ATMs” belonging to PNC and Bank of America at multiple locations in New Jersey, “including pinhole cameras that recorded password entries and card-reading devices capable of recording customer information encoded on magnetic strips,” according to the statement.”
- InterContinental Hotel Chain Breach Expands
– Krebs on Security – “IHG has released data showing that cash registers at more than 1,000 of its properties were compromised with malicious software designed to siphon customer debit and credit card data. Headquartered in Denham, U.K., IHG operates more than 5,000 hotels across nearly 100 countries. The company’s dozen brands include Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, InterContinental, Kimpton Hotels, and Crowne Plaza.”
ON THE WIRES
- Ensenta Changes the Way Businesses Deposit Checks with Its New Multi-Check Mobile™ API
– “Business users initiate the Multi-Check enabled app on their mobile devices, and flip the checks front-back, front-back, under the camera until all checks are captured – all without manually entering individual check amounts. Exceptions can be easily edited on the device and totals balanced.”
- Mastercard Helps Consumers Go Coin-and-Cash-Free at Vending Machines With Masterpass
– “Mastercard today will make creased dollar bills and spare coins a thing of the past at vending machines. Through a partnership with PayRange, maker of the world’s simplest mobile payment solution for machines, consumers can buy beverages and snacks with Masterpass at vending machines across 300 cities in the United States and Canada.”
- Transactis Partners with Walletron for Mobile Wallet Billing & Payment
– “Transactis is excited to announce a strategic relationship with Walletron, expanding its electronic billing and payment offering BillerIQ with the bill-to-wallet service moBills®, enabling businesses to present notifications, bill statements, and a streamlined payment experience through customers’ smartphones – all without ever downloading an app. Walletron will serve Transactis’ premier distribution client base, all leading players in the financial services, technology and digital communications industries.”
- Hyperwallet Tackles Enhanced Global Wire Transfers for Gig Economy Workers
– “Bolstered by Western Union’s Mass Payments technology, this new payout method helps reduce the cost of international wire transfers for higher-value transactions and to countries where local ACH networks aren’t available, while simultaneously providing earners with improved visibility into transfer fees and foreign exchange.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series
is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!