Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- ‘Alexa, pay my AmEx bill…’
– Chain Store Age – “American Express cardholders are now only a voice-command away from browsing their account or paying their bill. The credit card company is expanding its partnership with Amazon by launching its new Amex skill for Amazon Alexa. The skill brings select experiences of AmericanExpress.com and AmEx’s mobile app to Amazon’s voice service Alexa, within devices like Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.”
- Samsung Pay finally arrives in UK
– Finextra – “Samsung’s long-awaited push into the UK market for mobile payments is finally over. Originally scheduled for release in 2016, the app is set to make its debut on compatible user devices later today. “
- Goldman Sachs Sees Big Potential for Fintech in Brazil
– New York Times DealB%k – “Brazil is experiencing a wave of growth in financial technology that will most likely eat into the market share of the country’s huge and long untouchable banks, a new report from Goldman Sachs says.”
- NORDSTROM ROLLS OUT NEW REWARDS CREDIT CARD IN CANADA
– Cards International – “Nordstrom, an upscale department store operator in the US, has expanded its loyalty programme in Canada by introducing a new Nordstrom Rewards Visa credit card. The new card will be offered through British credit card provider MBNA, a division of The Toronto-Dominion Bank.”
- From Kill Switch To Bitcoin, ‘WannaCry’ Showing Signs Of Amateur Flaws
– NPR – “Cops have a decent shot at catching run-of-the-mill online scammers — say, the guy selling a car that’s just too good to be true on Craigslist. But catching ransomware attackers is generally much more difficult — unless they slip up. The criminals behind the “WannaCry” ransomware attack may have done just that. Experts are now seeing some amateur flaws emerging including an easy-to-find kill switch and the unsophisticated way the attackers are demanding Bitcoin from their victims.”
- Web-Retail Startups Turn for Growth to Bricks and Mortar
– Wall Street Journal (Paywall) – “Casper Sleep Inc. rattled the mattress industry with a bed-in-a-box that is sold only online, shipped free and comes with a 100-night guarantee. But after three years of robust sales as it lured customers through Facebook ads and podcast sponsorships, Casper is finding it can no longer shun the storefront. The New York company is among several specialty web retailers shifting to brick-and-mortar stores after finding the pool of online buyers is only so deep.”
ON THE WIRES
- LevelUp closes $50 million financing from JPMorgan Chase, US Boston and CentroCredit Bank
– “Today, LevelUp announced that it has completed a $50 million round to continue to grow its business. Investors who participated in this round include long-time partner and investor JPMorgan Chase, US Boston and CentroCredit Bank. Chase made an initial investment in LevelUp at the end of 2015. This funding comes at a time of accelerating growth for LevelUp, which is now used by nearly a million people every month.”
- Mastercard Brings Faster, Safer Payments to Expedia with Masterpass
– “Mastercard today announced that travelers now have more options to simply and securely complete their hotel, flight, and cruise reservations on Expedia.com, Orbitz and Travelocity with Masterpass.”
- Payza Becomes First Payment Network to Include Bitcoin Within Its eWallet
– “Payza, an award-winning global payment platform, today announced that it has become the first eWallet provider to treat Bitcoin like any fiat currency. Members can now hold their bitcoins directly in their Payza eWallets, no longer needing a separate Bitcoin Wallet to perform Bitcoin exchanges to or from fiat currencies.”
- A Brand New re-Volusion: E-Commerce Software Platform Refocuses On SMB Roots; Releases Volusion 2
– “Volusion, a leading all-in-one website builder for retailers and brands, today unveiled Volusion 2, a new and significantly upgraded version of its software platform, underscoring the company’s refocus on the needs of small to medium sized businesses by helping them start selling on their websites faster.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Understanding how payments work and the impact of the accelerating pace of change in the industry has never been more important. Get the knowledge you need fast at one of our two day Payments Boot Camps. Our one day Insight Workshops follow each Boot Camp and are deep dives into key topics such as digital payments and the global phenomenon of real-time push payments. Take a discount for attending all three days. Our workshop schedule is all set for the fall. Check it out here. We hope to see you soon!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!